Spinach and Onion Polenta
Easy to make and enjoy, our Spinach and Onion Polenta is ready in just minutes. This buttery polenta goes well with our Achiote-Rubbed Pork Chops.
- 6-cups boiling water
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 1-¼ cups coarse ground corn meal
- ¼ cup onion chopped in small dice
- Leaves from 1-sprig of fresh thyme
- ½ cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 2-tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat six cups of water to boiling over medium heat in an uncovered 4 Quart Stock Pot and add ½ teaspoon coarse salt.
- Whisk in 1-1/4 cups coarse ground corn meal. Add the cornmeal slowly and whisk continuously to avoid lumps. Cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. Continue whisking. (Constant whisking helps the cornmeal to cook without lumps and avoids burning. Don’t let it start spitting. This mixture is hot and sticky.)
- Add¼ cup of diced onion and the thyme leaves. Stir everything with a wooden spoon. Continue cooking the mixture for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in ½ cup of chopped spinach and 2 Tablespoons of butter. Season the dish with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat and serve.
Variation: Add ¼ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese and top with Italian sausage for a wintertime lunch.