Chicken Soup with Barley & Mushrooms
Soups, Stews & Sauces, Soups, Stews, Sauces
- 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, patted dry and
- cut into medium chunks (1/2” x 1/2”)
- 2 Tbls. olive oil
- 1 cup potato chopped into small dice (1/4” x 1/4”)
- 1 cup onion chopped into small dice
- 1/2 cup celery chopped into small dice
- 1/2 cup carrot chopped into small dice
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 2 stems of fresh thyme
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried variety
- 14 ounces white button mushrooms, cleaned, stems removed and quartered
- 1 cup pearl barley (no soak variety)
- 2 quarts of chicken stock or water
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- sea salt (1 teaspoon plus more for seasoning)
- freshly ground black pepper (1/4 teaspoon plus more for seasoning)
- Heat the 6 Quart Stock Pot over medium heat. The pan is ready when water droplets dance across the surface.
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the hot pot and sear the meat on all sides. This takes approximately 8 minutes. Transfer the seared chicken to a heatproof bowl. Pour any liquid from the pot over the chicken then carefully wipe the pot with a couple layers of paper toweling. Return the pot to the heat.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil to the pot. Allow it to heat for one minute. The vegetables should “sizzle” when added. Add the potato, onion, celery, carrot, and garlic cloves. Season the vegetables with 1 teaspoon of sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper. Add the thyme and oregano. Stir to combine and allow the vegetables to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking, uncovered, for an additional 8 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken back to the pot along with any juices. Pour 1 cup of pearled barley over the mixture. Add 2 quarts unsalted chicken stock (or water) and 1/4 cup of dry, white wine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pot with its lid. Cook over medium heat just until steam begins to escape from under the lid, 6-8 minutes. Spin the lid to engage the Vapor Seal. Immediately reduce the heat to low.
- Cook until the barley is tender, approximately 35 minutes.
- When the soup is done, stir in 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley. Stir to combine and serve.
***Tip: Serve the soup with some grated Pecorino cheese sprinkled on top.