Pick-Up Sticks Potato Fries
Do you remember the old children’s game? (If not, ask your mother!) These tasty fries are thinly julienned and fry up beautifully. Pair them with our Mediterranean Spice Burgers or Grateful Turkey Burgers. They are sure to add a “kick” to any football party or family dinner.
- 1 lb. Idaho baking potatoes-room temperature/skin on
- (Use the large bakers for better results.)
- 6 cups peanut oil
- Potato Spice Seasoning (Recipe follows)
- Heat uncovered to 375 degrees F- 6 cups of peanut oil in the 4 Quart Stock Pot.
- Julienne slice the potatoes lengthwise into strips that are 1/8” x 1/8”. Dry potatoes with paper toweling.
- Fry potato sticks in small batches (1-cup) for one minute. (There should be no color to the potatoes-yet.) Using a spider mesh or a slotted spoon remove the potatoes from the oil and transfer them to a platter or bowl. *Be sure to bring the oil’s heat back up to
- 375 degrees F between batches. Repeat this process until all the potatoes have been
- Fry the potatoes a second time (2 batches) for 1-2 minutes. The potato sticks should be deep golden brown. Remove them from the oil and transfer them to a paper lined platter or baking sheet.
- Sprinkle immediately with the *Potato Spice Seasoning.
Potato Spice Seasoning Recipe:
Combine in a small bowl: 1 Tablespoon kosher salt, 1-teaspoon smoked paprika,½- teaspoon garlic powder, ¼-teaspoon onion powder, ¼-teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. (Remaining spice can be stored in an airtight container for up to 12 months.)
Helpful Hint: Keep your Pick-up Sticks Potato Fries warm between batches on a paper lined baking sheet in an oven set at 225 degrees F.
Tip: Oil should never reach higher than 2/3 of the way up the sides of the pot during frying.222222 leave hot oil unattended. Hot oil can cause severe burns.