Corned Beef and Cabbage with Potatoes
- Corned Beef Brisket-flat cut 3 1/2 to 4 pounds
Spices for Corned Beef:
- 1/2 teaspoon-black and white peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon-coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 large bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 12 ounces of beer (A hearty lager works well)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 carrot (Cut into 4 pieces)
- 8-10 small golden potatoes, whole (2-3” diameter), room temperature
- 1 green cabbage, small, room temperature (Washed and cut into 8 wedges with the core
- Place the Corned beef, fat side up, onto the bottom of the 6 Quart Stock Pot. Add the peppercorns, coriander, mustard seeds and bay leaf or just use the spices from the package of corned beef. Add the carrot and cloves.
- Pour 12 ounces of beer and one cup of water over the beef.
- Cover the stockpot and place it over medium heat. Cook until steam just begins to escape from under the lid, 6- 8 minutes. Spin the lid to engage the Vapor Seal.
- Immediately reduce the heat to low. Allow the beef to cook for 90 minutes.
- At the ninety-minute mark, add your potatoes first, then the eight cabbage segments to the pot. Cover the pot and increase the heat to medium. Be sure the lid is seated and can spin freely. Cook until steam just begins to escape from under the lid. Spin the lid to engage the Vapor Seal. Reduce the heat to low. Cook everything for another 40-45 minutes.
- When cooking is finished, the cabbage should be tender with a bit of a bite. The potatoes should be fork-tender. Discard the carrot and cooking liquid.
- Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and the beef to a platter. Cover the meat with aluminum foil to keep it warm. To Serve: Mash the potatoes slightly with some butter salt and pepper, chop the cabbage and thinly slice the beef.
Hint: For presentation, score the fat in a crisscross pattern after the corned beef has rested for ten minutes.
- Tags: 6 Quart Stock Pot Beef Cabbage with Potatoes Corned Beef Corned Beef and Cabbage with Potatoes Corned Beef Recipe entertaining and parties Entrées everyday cooking Everyday Meals Parties & Entertaining quick and easy recipes Recipe St. Patrick's Day Recipe St. Patty's Day St. Patty's Recipe St.Patrick's Day
- Brittany Pitschman