Corned Beef and Cabbage with Potatoes
Corned Beef Brisket-flat cut 3 1/2 to 4 pounds
- 1/2 teaspoon-black and white peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon-coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 large bay leaves
- 4 whole cloves
- 12 ounces of beer (A hearty lager works well)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 carrot (Cut into 4 pieces)
- 8-10 small golden potatoes, whole (2-3” diameter), room temperature
1 green cabbage, small, room temperature (Washed and cut into 8 wedges with the core intact)
Spices for Corned Beef:
- Place the Corned beef, fat side up, onto the bottom of the 6 Quart Stock Pot.Add the peppercorns, coriander, mustard seeds and bay leaf or just use the spices from the package of corned beef.Addthe carrot and cloves.
- Pour12 ounces of beer and one cup of water over the beef.
- Cover the stockpot and place it over medium heat.Cook until steam just begins toescape from under the lid, 6- 8 minutes.Spin the lid to engage theVapor Seal.
- Immediatelyreduce the heat to low. Allow the beef tocook for 90 minutes.
- At the ninety-minute mark,add your potatoes first, then the eight cabbage segments tothe pot.Cover the pot andincreasethe heat to medium. Be sure the lid is seated andcan spin freely.Cook until steam just begins to escape from under the lid.Spin the lidto engage theVapor Seal.Reduce the heat to low.Cook everything for another 40-45minutes.
- When cooking is finished, the cabbage should be tender with a bit of a bite. The potatoesshould be fork-tender. Discard the carrot and cooking liquid.
- Transfer the vegetables to a bowl and the beef to a platter.Coverthe meat withaluminum foil to keep it warm.To Serve: Mash the potatoes slightly with some buttersalt and pepper,chopthe cabbage andthinly slice the beef.
Hint: Insert the cloves into one of the pieces of carrot. You don’t have to fish for them later.
Hint: For presentation, score the fat in a crisscross pattern after the corned beef has rested for ten minutes.