- 2.5 lbs Stew Beef, preferably chuck
- 1 large Onion, chopped coarsely
- 1.5 cups Low Sodium Beef Broth or Water, divided
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme, chopped or 1/2 tsp dried
- 3 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Dry Red Wine
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 6 small New Potatoes, quartered
- 2 Carrots, chopped coarsely
- 1.5 cups Fresh or Frozen Peas
- Heat the 4 Quart Stock Pot over medium heat until it's hot enough that water droplets bead across the surface, about 5 minutes.
- Working in two batches, brown the beef on all sides in the hot, dry pan. (The meat will stick initially. It is ready to turn once it comes away from the pan with no resistance.) Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the onions, and 1/2 cup of the broth to the pot and stir up the browned bits. Cover and cook about 5 minutes until the onions are softened.
- Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook uncovered for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and tomato paste and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the wine and remaining broth, scraping the bottom of the pot.
- Add the beef and bay leaf and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook until steam just begins to escape from under the lid, about 10 minutes.
- Spin the lid to engage the Vapor Seal® then immediately reduce the heat to low. Cook for 1 hour.
- Stir in the potatoes and carrots. Cover and cook for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the beef is very tender.
- Stir in the peas and cook for about 10 minutes until the peas are just tender. Serve immediately.